Cybercrime is a universal issue tormenting the world. Cybercrime is defined as criminal activities carried out by means of computers or the Internet
Due to the growing number of people attaining access to the internet,
evolution in technology, the global population is getting more vulnerable to participation in cybercrime, either the predator or the prey. Cybercrime is
swiftly propagating from simple e-mail misconduct to far-reaching violations like theft of information, email bombing to crashing servers and so forth
Cybercrime is different and more reprehensible than conventional crime here electronic medium is used. It involves individual citizen, to groups to huge businesses, to the government and the world at large.
Various laws have been brought into existence. There are various classifications on the basis of the crimes and the victims of the same. Against individuals, property, government or against the society at large.
Cybercrime is a problem because it puts internet users at risk of being taken advantage of or harmed. Let us now learn of measures that can be taken to protect oneself and the data from cybercrime.
- Use anti-virus Software- Firewalls and latest anti-virus software should be installed wherever possible Even if it slows down the system, it can save all your work which would otherwise be destroyed by an attack. In case of businesses, hire Security Experts if needed. Like the saying goes better safe than sorry
- Block-Suspicious or unknown accounts are better blocked. Do not accept friend requests from doubtful strangers.
- Online Shopping Shop only from secured sights. Try choosing the Cash On Delivery option where ever possible. The online retailer’s internet address will change from “http” to “https” to indicate a connection is secure, make sure you check this and proceed with the payment. Don’t store your card details on websites, put in those extra seconds everytime to enter the details.
- Passwords– Use strong passwords for all your IDs. Use different passwords for different sites
- Multiple email accounts Have separate accounts for official and informal transactions so even if one of the accounts gets hacked, all your banking and passport details are not compromised.
- No unwanted clicking– Do not acknowledge pop-ups, as they might contain malicious software tricking you into installing malware. Similar strategies are used by hackers by luring you into opening links or attachments and in turn installing malware which makes your device vulnerable. Emails claiming that you have won high-value Lottery or any kind of money is dangerous, DO NOT entertain such emails. It may not be practicable to eradicate cybercrime but it is quite possible to check them. Crime cannot be completely extinguished from the society. If every cyberspace user takes that one extra step to safeguard himself and his data and business, exploitation of it may be saved. Various laws are put in place for the variety of cyber crimes, but don’t they say, ‘Prevention is better than cure’
22nd March 2018