WORLD OF AESTHETICS
THE MYTHS AND TRUTHS ABOUT CHEMICAL PEELING
Peelings are among the oldest and most widespread aesthetic procedure used in aesthetic dermatology world wide. The classification of peels comprises SUPERFICIAL,MEDIUM DEPTH AND DEEP PEELS. Superficial peels exfoliates the epidermal layer whereas the medium depth exfoliates epidermal to papillary dermis layer and the depth helps in reaching up to reticular dermis layer for regeneration.
HOW PEELING IS DONE:-
It involves the application of a chemical substance to destroy layers of the skin such that they are then spontaneously eliminated over several days and repair mechanism of the epidermis and dermis are induced.
- PRE-PEELING PREPARATION (PRIMING):-Preparing the skin for peeling and for the regeneration process.(TRETINOIN,AHA).
- PRE TREATMENT :-It is very important for homogenous penetration of the peel and thus the uniform result. The skin is cleansed to remove oil and grease to eliminate debris from the stratum corneum(ACETONE),skin is then rinsed and dried.
- TREATMENT:-The peeling agent is then applied using an applicator/brush. Contact time depend on the caustic agent used and the desired depth .The peel is neutralized with sodium bicarbonate or water.
- POST PEELING CARE:-To accelerate healing moisturizers are prescribed. As the skin become sensitive post chemical exposure ,sunscreen is must before going out in the sun to protect the new skin forming.
Skin sags, bulges and more severe wrinkles do not respond well to chemical peels. Generally fair skinned and light haired are better candidates. Darker skinned people likely to have an uneven skin tone after the procedure.
- ALPHA HYDROXY ACID AHA:-The most commonly used product is glycolic acid. Concentration varying between 25%-70%.The higher the concentration ,the lower the pH, the more intense the peeling will be.
- BETA HYDROXY ACID :-A’ peel using a lipophilic derivative of salicylic acid has recently been introduced. The LHA is used in 5%and10% con.
- RESORCIN:-The most widely used being jessner’s solution. This provide a superficial peel.
- transient hyperpigmentation
MEDIUM DEPTH PEEL
- Heart failure (phenol)
- permanent achromia
Chemical peels represents flexible and useful tools for improving skin texture and the effect of aging. This technique is indicated for wrinkles,acne,pigmentary changes. The level of expertise of a dermatologist is crucial for the rate of side effects and the final peel results.
“Be your own kind of Beauty”
Dr.Shireesha Maddali BDS,FMC