Lotus root or Nadru is found in the lakes of Srinagar. Hence it is a popular ingredient used in delicacies in Kashmir. Nowadays it is available in local vegetable markets as well
Nadir Yakhini is a yogurt gravy based dish cooked in a variety of spices.
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 5-6 people
- 1 kg nadru (lotus root)
- 100ml mustard oil
- 2 cups of whipped curd
- 3 table spoon saunf powder (fennel seeds powder).
- 1/4 tea spoon hing (asafoetida)
- 1 tea spoon shah jeera (cumin)
- 1 tea spoon kala jeera (black cumin)
- 3 crushed moti elaichi (black cardamom)
- 2 crushed choti elaichi (green cardamom)
- 1 tea spoon saunth powder (ginger powder)
- 2 tej patta (bay leaves)
- 1 stick dalcheeni (cinnamon)
- 1 whole laung (clove)
- Wash the lotus root well and peel them, cut them into 2″ thick pieces.
- Boil them for 5-7 minutes to get rid of the mud and dirt inside the holes
- You can fry the nadru after boiling (This is optional)
- Add these pieces of nadru in a pressure cooker with 2 glasses of water
- Add salt, tej patta, dalcheeni, laung and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles till the lotus root softens
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan, add shah jeera and hing
- Beat the curd and add it to the pan and stir constantly to avoid curdling
- Let it boil
- Add the salt for this gravy, saunf powder, saunth powder, kala jeera, moti elaichi and choti elaichi and give it a boil.
- Add these contents to the pressure cooker with the nadru
- Let it boil for 10 minutes so the flavors are absorbed by the nadru
- Serve with boiled basmati rice