It is healthy breakfast recipe from south indian cuisine prepared with rice and urad daal batter. Uttapam is little thicker than dosa and is topped with veggies like onion, tomato, capsicum etc
Preparation time:-20 minutes
2 CUPS IDLI BATTER OR DOSA BATTER
1 MEDIUM ONION
1/2 CUP FINELY CHOPPED CAPSICUM
1/3 CUP FINELY CHOPPED TOMATO
2-3 GREEN CHILLIES
OIL FOR SHALLOW FRYING
SALT TO TASTE
1.Prepare the batter at home :-Rinse urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water for 2-3times and soak them with poha (flattened rice) for 4-5 hours ,soak rice and grind it. Now grind urad dal, fenugreek , poha along with rice. Make a smooth paste. Add salt and mix it well .Batter should be slightly thicker than dosa but thinner than idli batter.
2.Cover and ferment in a warm place for 8 hours.
3.Spread the mixture along with little oil ,add all the veggies and serve it with chutney for a better taste.
RASAM:-THE SOUP OF SOUTHINDIA
Rasam is a southindian curry/soup usually had with rice.It is called as CHAARU in telugu and kannada.
- Tamarind-lime sized.
- Tomato-1 finely chopped.
- Green chilly -1.
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp.
- Water-3 cups.
- Salt-to taste.
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp.
- Curry leaves-7 leaves.
- Asafoetida powder-1/2 tsp.
- Coriander leaves-handful (chopped).
RASAM POWDER INGREDIENT
- Black peppercorn-3tsp
- Cumin seeds-2 tsp
- Coriander seeds-1/2 tsp
- Toor dal-1tsp
- Red chilly-1 or 2
- Garlic-3-4 cloves
- curry leaves-few
- Coarsely grind all the items under “rasam powder ingredients”.add the garlic while making this powder.
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of a warm water for 5mins to extract the pulp.
- Heat little oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the RASAM MASALA/POWDER, crushed green chilly and chopped tomato.
- Let it cook for couple of minutes until the tomatoes become soft and juicy.A nice aroma of the roasted spices will come.
- Now add tamarind pulp,turmeric powder, aafoetida, salt, coriander leaves and 3 cups of water.
- When the rasam is about the boil,you will see it foaming. Switch it off this stage before it comes to a full boil.
- Keep it covered with a lid to retain its aroma until you are ready to serve.
PULIHORA:-THE TASTE OF SOUTH
PULIHORA, a traditional tamarind rice of ANDHRA PRADESH also known as chintapandu pulihora.Often prepared during festivals and is offered as naivedyam to the God.
- 2 CUPS OF RICE
- 3 TBSP OIL
- 1 TBSO SESAME OIL
- 2 SPRIGS OF CURRY LEAVE
- 2 RED CHILLIES BROKEN
- HALF TSP MUSTARD
- 1 TBSP CHANNA DAL
- 1 TBSP URAD DAL
- FISTFUL OF PEANUTS
- GENEROUS PINCH OF HING
- SALT AS NEEDED
- TAMARIND PULP
- 2 GREEN CHILLIES SLIT
- HALF TSP GINGER
- TURMERIC AS NEEDED
- HALF TSP LIGHTLY ROASTED MUSTARD POWDER
- HALF TSP JAGGERY (OPTIONAL)
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, a 2 tsp of oil and fried curry leaves to the cooked and cooled rice and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a cooking vessel, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add dry red chillies , cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal and fry for a minute till light brown.
- Next add the slit green chillies, ginger, asafoetids(hing) and few curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked tamarind mix well.
- Finally sprinkle the roasted sesame seeds powder and roasted peanuts and mix all the ingredient well .
- let it sit for 1 hour for the flavors to set in.
TOTAL FAT 6.9 g