Walking is the most natural way of exercising, man has been walking since the beginning of time immemorial. When done right, you can walk your way to a fitter, slimmer and a healthier you
- 10,000 steps a day is recommended for fitness. Keeping track of the number steps taken gives you a sense of achievement. Adapting to small lifestyle changes could help you get in shape, walking to the grocery store or to a friend’s or even to run errands, taking the staircase, ditching the elevators and escalators will help you reach to your desired weight.
- A dedicated 40-minute walk will also help reach your daily target. You can even walk in intervals, it helps control blood sugar levels and also can squeeze into your tight schedule.
- Intensity can be increased by a brisk walk or walk uphill which will increase the heart rate, help build muscles, increase metabolism and would not even lead to sore muscles. Interval walking also works wonders, walk at varied speeds to increase calorie burn.
- Eating healthy, cutting on sugar and bakery products will also help speed the weight loss process.
- Try having foods and beverages that boost metabolism, like green tea, green coffee, protein-rich food. Drink 3-4 liters of water to flush toxins.
Walking has innumerable benefits, some of which are
- Burns calories, promotes weight loss, helps cut down the extra flab
- Reduces risk of diseases, increases bone density, keeps the heart healthy, prevents disease like diabetes
- Keeps the body active by stimulating blood circulation, controls blood pressure and cholesterol levels, refreshes the system, lifts your spirit, makes feel livelier, rejuvenates the body
- Cheapest and easiest form of exercise can be done anytime, anywhere. There is an array of walking videos available online for which you just need an internet connection, walk along with them or walk on the treadmill, without a need to step out of the house.
- Walking keeps a person happy and keeps stress at bay. Calms down the nerves as the body releases endorphins which have an overall relaxing effect.
- Improves memory and cognitive functions of the brain as the levels of the hormones serotonin and dopamine increase due to walking
- Improved blood circulation gives the skin a healthy glow, delaying the signs of aging.
- Walking with a friend keeps the motivation high and the bond strong
- Walking keeps a man happy and healthy and keeps off the excess weight, also strengthens muscles
- Wear the right shoes that are comfortable, offer a good grip and support and do not pinch anywhere
- Track the number of steps using a pedometer or a tracking mobile app
- Warm your body up, start with slow walking and then work up the speed
- Carry water for hydration
- Walk with a good posture, with your back straight, tummy tucked in, navel trying to touch the back
- Arms need to be as close to the body as possible while swinging them so that the motion is fluid and effective
- Swinging the arms back and forth faster will increase your walking speed
- Relax the neck and shoulder muscles
- Take shorter strides trying to push off the leading foot with more force while keeping
- The heel should touch the ground first then roll the foot on your toes for minimum stress on ankles and knees
- Find a walking buddy to keep yourself motivated
Coupled with a healthy diet, a daily walk done in the right way can work wonders for one’s well being. So, what are you waiting for; put on your walking shoes and start today! And remember, “The only shortcut for weight loss is taking the long path”
26th March 2018