RASAM:-THE SOUP OF SOUTHINDIA
Rasam is a southindian curry/soup usually had with rice.It is called as CHAARU in telugu and kannada.
- Tamarind-lime sized.
- Tomato-1 finely chopped.
- Green chilly -1.
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp.
- Water-3 cups.
- Salt-to taste.
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp.
- Curry leaves-7 leaves.
- Asafoetida powder-1/2 tsp.
- Coriander leaves-handful (chopped).
RASAM POWDER INGREDIENT
- Black peppercorn-3tsp
- Cumin seeds-2 tsp
- Coriander seeds-1/2 tsp
- Toor dal-1tsp
- Red chilly-1 or 2
- Garlic-3-4 cloves
- curry leaves-few
- Coarsely grind all the items under “rasam powder ingredients”.add the garlic while making this powder.
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of a warm water for 5mins to extract the pulp.
- Heat little oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the RASAM MASALA/POWDER, crushed green chilly and chopped tomato.
- Let it cook for couple of minutes until the tomatoes become soft and juicy.A nice aroma of the roasted spices will come.
- Now add tamarind pulp,turmeric powder, aafoetida, salt, coriander leaves and 3 cups of water.
- When the rasam is about the boil,you will see it foaming. Switch it off this stage before it comes to a full boil.
- Keep it covered with a lid to retain its aroma until you are ready to serve.