KHAMAN DHOKLA RECIPE
It is a Vegetarian Gujrati recipe. It is made with a fermented batter derived from rice and split chickpeas.
DHOKLA can be eaten for breakfast, as main course or as a side course.
HISTORY BEHIND DHOKLA
Dukkia a pulse based precursor of the dhokla , is mentioned in a jain text dated 1066 CE.
1 cup gram flour
1 tablespoon rava
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon eno fruit salt
1 teaspoon green chilly and ginger paste
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup curd
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 TABLESPOON OIL
10-15 CURRY LEAVES
1/2 TEASPOON MUSTARD SEEDS
1/2 TEASPOON CUMIN SEEDS
1 TEASPOON SESAME SEEDS
3 GREEN CHILLIES
2 TABLESPOON CORIANDER LEAVES
2 TABLESPOON GRATED FRESH COCONUT
1 PINCH ASAFOETIDA
1/3 CUP WATER
DIRECTIONS FOR BATTER
Take gram flour, semolina, lemon juice, green chilly-ginger paste ,curd, water and salt in a bowl. Mix them properly into smooth batter.
Add fruit salt in batter and stir in one direction for approx. 1 min. You will notice its size would increase to almost double.Now pour the batter immediately into each greased plate .
Place plates in steamer and steam for 10-12 mins over medium flame.After 10 mins insert a knife into dhokla and check if it comes out clean.Take out plates from steamer and let them cool.
Now heat 2 teaspoon oil in a tempering pan.Add mustard seeds and asafetida, cumins, sessame, green chilly,curry leaves and saute them for few seconds.
Add 1/3 cup water and sugar and bring it to boil,pour it over dhokla and toss gently.
TOTAL FAT -27g
VITAMIN A -2%
HOME MADE PAYASAM
Payasam is a delicious rice milk pudding with cashews and raisins. It is an authentic south indian recipe. It is immensely loved by sweet lovers.
TRY THIS EASY AND HEALTHY RECIPE
INGREDIENTS OF PAAL PAYSAM
5gms CARDAMOM POWDER
50ml ghee(CLARIFIED BUTTER)
KHOYA/KHOWA(IF YOU NEEDED A THICKER PAYASAM)
- Wash and soak the rice for half an hour.
- cook the rice in milk until soft.
- Add cardamom powder, sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the cashew nuts and raisins , saute for 1 min.
- Pour the ghee along with the fried cashew and raisins on the rice mixture and serve warm.
(NOTE:- YOU CAN ALSO ADD FRIED VERMICELLI IN PLACE OF RICE)
PULIHORA:-THE TASTE OF SOUTH
PULIHORA, a traditional tamarind rice of ANDHRA PRADESH also known as chintapandu pulihora.Often prepared during festivals and is offered as naivedyam to the God.
- 2 CUPS OF RICE
- 3 TBSP OIL
- 1 TBSO SESAME OIL
- 2 SPRIGS OF CURRY LEAVE
- 2 RED CHILLIES BROKEN
- HALF TSP MUSTARD
- 1 TBSP CHANNA DAL
- 1 TBSP URAD DAL
- FISTFUL OF PEANUTS
- GENEROUS PINCH OF HING
- SALT AS NEEDED
- TAMARIND PULP
- 2 GREEN CHILLIES SLIT
- HALF TSP GINGER
- TURMERIC AS NEEDED
- HALF TSP LIGHTLY ROASTED MUSTARD POWDER
- HALF TSP JAGGERY (OPTIONAL)
- Sprinkle turmeric powder, salt, a 2 tsp of oil and fried curry leaves to the cooked and cooled rice and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a cooking vessel, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add dry red chillies , cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal and fry for a minute till light brown.
- Next add the slit green chillies, ginger, asafoetids(hing) and few curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked tamarind mix well.
- Finally sprinkle the roasted sesame seeds powder and roasted peanuts and mix all the ingredient well .
- let it sit for 1 hour for the flavors to set in.
TOTAL FAT 6.9 g